December 2018

2345 6 78
91011 121314 15
23 242526272829

Custom Text

I woke up this morning at 2:30 AM ... to pouring rain. 2 AM was the time the National Weather Service had predicted the temperature would drop low enough to turn yesterday evening's drizzly rain (observed by anyone who watched the Super Bowl!) into all snow. A lifetime of fighting insomnia has taught me little tricks to get myself back to sleep, one of which is to get up and get a drink of water and "reset my brain" so that whatever is niggling at me will leave me alone. While I was up, I checked our weather station. 37F/3C. Grrr. That was still quite far from the predicted 30F/-1C low.

We're going to get screwed out of our snow! I thought. This would mean a full day of rain in near-freezing temperatures, to say nothing of the fact that I was really looking forward to a day off to get ahead on my paper.

And then my little trick to get back to sleep didn't work. Every time I'd start to drift off, the rain would come pounding down in earnest or one of the dogs would start scratching or something small to wake me up. So I was up all night listening to my much-anticipated snow pouring down as rain!

One good thing did come of it: I finished The Social Contract and downloaded Discourses on Inequality and am presently halfway through that. (Don't be impressed. They're both really short.)

I fell asleep shortly before the alarm went off at 6:15. By now, the pouring rain had been replaced by a sharp tick tick tick sound at the window: It was starting to ice. The temperature had dropped to the brink of freezing. The winter storm warning was still in effect; it was just going to get rolling later than predicted. Carroll County Public Schools were on a two-hour delay and closed not long after. Baltimore County did the same with their northernmost district but not the rest, so we were due into work. Bobby texted our principal to let him know that we were going to wait a bit before coming in on account of the ice. And it had begun to snow: giant, wet flakes that were already sticking to the ground.

I went back to sleep. When I next woke up, Bobby was on the phone with our principal to let him know we would not be in. That's weird, I thought. I could hear water running in the gutter, so it was above freezing; I hoped we weren't blowing a day of leave on something stupid. Then I heard the snowplow come down the road, so I looked out the window and saw that, in that short time, 3 inches (7.5 cm) had already fallen, and the road was completely covered.

It is still snowing, and I'm going to be conservative and say that we have 6 inches (15 cm) so far. It's the big, pretty flakes that look like the inside of a snowglobe.

We've still potentially got an ice storm coming on Wednesday and the big snow this weekend. The local meteorologists are already making unsmiling jokes that the kids won't have school for two more weeks.

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Style Credit