August 2017

678910 1112

Custom Text

Our primary source of heating in our new house is a wood pellet stove. Back in Maryland, we had a woodstove in the basement and electric baseboard heat upstairs that we resisted turning on as long as possible because it was so expensive. The woodstove, on the other hand, was wonderful, and we used it as much as we could. However, it took a while to start it, and it was messy, producing a lot of brown ash that would cover everything in the house.

The pellet stove, on the other hand, starts with the push of a button and does not seem to be nearly as messy. We've had it on three times now--temperatures were in the upper 20sF/-3C a couple nights this week--and it made the house a little TOO hot! But since we live in an area where it is not uncommon to have temperatures as low as -30F/-34C, then we will be grateful for it in short order, I suspect!

Midway through the summer, Tractor Supply Company had a great pre-sale on wood pellets, so based on the usage of the previous owners (who used the pellet stove as their primary heating source as we intend to do; we have a kerosene backup), we ordered three tons (2.7 metric tons). This weekend, they were delivered, and the entire weekend was blocked off on our calendar for transporting them from the TSC in Derby--which is about twenty minutes away--to our house.

We have a little cart for our Subaru, and using that, it took three trips and about three hours to move all three tons of wood pellets. We put about 2.5 tons in our new barn and about a half ton in the log cabin shed alongside our house. Let me tell you, moving three tons of wood pellets is hard work! They come in 40 lb/18 kg bags. A 40-lb bag is not difficult for me to lift and carry, but repeated 150 times with much bending and lifting was rough! By the end of the third round, my poor little forearms were DONE. Bobby drove the Subaru down to the barn and was carrying the bags from the cart to the barn, where I waited with outstretched arms for him to dump the bag onto them, which I would carry into the barn and add to the pile. One of the last ones he plopped entirely on my forearms, and I barely made it! He was complaining of fatigue, and I wanted to say, "Imagine how I feel!" I have above average upper-body strength for a woman, but really.

Well, it's done now. My upper arms and shoulders ached something fierce this morning, so we went hiking on Mount Hor to keep me from stiffening up and so I could enjoy a dose of pain-fighting endorphins. Also because the views were going to be amazingly gorgeous.

I have a ton of photos to post from a stroll along River Road last week for the peak leaf weekend, and a hike along the ridge at Mount Mansfield, Vermont's highest mountain. Honestly, I have been completely lost in this story I am writing based on the Scottish folk song "Tamlin." I am hoping to have it done in time to post it for Halloween at this point; it is much longer than I expected, in a large part because my first attempt at it was not as character-based as I like my writing to be, and characterization eats a lot of pages, at least how I do it. But when I'm on the computer, I don't want to be doing anything but working on this story. I stayed up till 1:30 last night with it.

I'll try to get those other pictures posted soon, but Mount Hor is going to jump to the head of the line. It was a gorgeous day: sunny and mild. Last weekend was the peak for the leaves, but as you will see, the leaves are still pretty spectacular!

We hiked Mount Hor three weeks ago. Today, it was like an entirely different mountain.

Click to see the photo full-sized. I especially recommend this for the panoramas, extra especially on LJ (which crunches them down really tiny).

We first stopped at South Beach because the Willoughby Gap was so beautiful today. Mount Hor is on the left, and Mount Pisgah is on the right.

 photo 20161016_123311_zpskap472br.jpg

 photo 20161016_123330_zpssi6faxdp.jpg

The colors in the forest were ethereal: an almost spring green in the lower canopy that blended into brilliant gold with splashes of orange and crimson closer to the top.

 photo 20161016_124633_zpsdeluqtdq.jpg

 photo 20161016_130134_zpsxvhoc8vc.jpg

 photo 20161016_130941_zpssmqc1upq.jpg

 photo 20161016_131852_zpsqw0mbcda.jpg

Arriving at the summit and the western view, you crest the trail and the world just seems to open up before you. A photograph does not do it justice.

 photo 20161016_132112_zpsrsyryye3.jpg

 photo 20161016_132227_zps9mahkcik.jpg

 photo 20161016_132314_zpseq30rj3b.jpg

 photo 20161016_132420_zpsjhz7m09u.jpg

The trail leading back up to the summit and onward to the eastern and northern views.

 photo 20161016_132645_zpszgo63s6g.jpg

 photo 20161016_133938_zps8fgsk2y4.jpg

Waiting for me at the crossroads, Bobby checked the weather radar because rain was predicted for the afternoon. The radar showed rain approaching, so we decided to do just the eastern view today. It was pretty amazing.

Mount Pisgah, opposite Mount Hor on Lake Willoughby.

 photo 20161016_141114_zpso0kymcop.jpg

If you click on one of my panoramas, make it this one!

 photo 20161016_140950_zps8qoz7gkx.jpg

Sure enough, we were back on the road about ten minutes, and it started to rain!

(no subject)

Date: 2016-10-17 08:56 pm (UTC)
brynwulf: (Blue pot on stove)
From: [personal profile] brynwulf
We have a wood burning stove as supplemental heat, but using a pellet stove for primary sounds perfect.

Your colors are beautiful over there. We're reaching peak change this week in WI I think. Enjoying the pictures.

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags

Style Credit